Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Rose Perea

So, I was a little slow in getting this written and posted and I apologize about that.

I am a second degree graduate student working on my Masters in Physics with an emphasis on Experimental Materials Science at Fisk University as part of the Fisk-Vanderbilt Masters-PhD Program. My first Masters degree is also in Physics with an emphasis on Computational Mineral Physics from New Mexico State University. Somewhat similar, but definitely different in many aspects. I do love it though, I never knew how much I would enjoy the experimental side of things until I gave it an honest try :) I look forward to working with Dr. Parsons in using the Neutron Pulse Generator Probing In-Situ with Neutron and Gamma Rays (PING) Instrument. I spent part of my year last year working with Cadmium Zinc Telluride (CZT) and I would enjoy working more with this detector and others (possibly Lanthanum Bromide) and learning more about characterizing detectors in general. 

Some more personal info: I grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico, went to New Mexico State University (as stated above) and now currently reside in Nashville, TN. Very very different places! Its great here, it actually rains! The only thing I can't stand is the humidity, and from watching the weather in Greenbelt, its even worse there, sigh. I am also currently married to my best friend since high school, John-Michael, with two kitties: Stinker and Bandit:
Because you can't be in Nashville without taking a picture on Broadway next to some sort of replica of Elvis :)

Bandit's favorite sleeping position . . .
Stinker prefers "the ball up as tight as I can" method . . .
Random stuff:
I like metal (most forms, no death metal), techno, some industrial german techno, 80's and 90's dance music, but no rancheras or country! Whoever gets shotgun in the carpool will need to search for a decent rock radio station.
I like hockey, one of the perks of moving to Nashville is they have a professional hockey team (we've seen them twice already :)
I like naps!
I'm lactose intolerant and hate it :(

Okay, I think I've blabbed on long enough. Look forward to meeting all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment