Thursday, May 24, 2012

Jillian Votava

Jillian E. Votava

>>Picture of me last summer during my internship as a field physical science technician in Alaska for USGS; taken on lookout tower within army base near Delta Junction, AK....  Yes, that is a holster. The 44 Mag. is in the truck.<<

Hello everyone,
My name is Jillian and I am a recent graduate with a B.S. in Geology from Michigan Technological University. Michigan Tech in located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, (the "Yoop") as the locals fondly call it, with huge tracts of forests (hardwoods and boreal) as well as hundreds of miles of Lake Superior coastline. It was here, in the U.P. that I really fostered my landscape and field-association observational skills, which are the foundation of any geology/geoscience study. This fall I will start graduate school at the Univ. Minnesota-Duluth working in the Large Lakes Observatory. I am originally from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, (if you know your geography then you will see a pattern here) land of beer, brats, cheese, and festivals.


 I really enjoy learning and observing all the properties and phenomena that occur in our physical world. I am excited to explore this concept on other planets (and space bodies) this summer with NASA. This summer involves helping Dr. Noah Petro digitize and characterize lunar data sets from the Apollo missions. Reading, studying, drawing, interpreting, and creating maps has always been incredably facinating to me. No matter how many times I look at the same map I always see something different, learn something new. The goal this summer is to gain new skills in map creation, interpretation, and data organization. I'm PUMPED!

In addition to that listed above, I really enjoy meeting new people on a personal level (such as this residential internship is likely to yield). I enjoy conversations about weird or abstract things (come on, I'm a geologist, we use our imaginations ALL the time...) also conversations about natural resources, especially water. I love hearing people talk about things they are passionate about, doesn't matter if I don't agree, I want to hear your side and see how you think.

Obviously I enjoy being outside and doing the classic set: exploring, hiking, biking, swimming, paddle-sports, spelunking, etc...
I cannot call myself a musician in any way; however, I enjoy listening to many styles of it. Not a huge country or hip-hop fan, but I like a few songs that others would classfy as such. I like broadening my music horizons, and can barely tolerate America's Top-40. Perhaps even more-so than listening I enjoy dancing, which is really just the physical, kinesthetic expression of music. Absolutely LOVE "folk" dances>> polka, schotish, Irish jigs, raqs sharqi/ATS... you name it, I'm up to try it. Within the last 2 years I've learned some social dance>> tango, blues, salsa, waltz... but have mostly stuck with swing dance (east-coast and lindy-hop). Anyone else like to social dance?

Well before this gets any longer, I will just leave it at that.
See you all now in t-minus 10 days!
Can't wait to meet you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment